Full course description
Time: 2 hours, 43 minutes
Credit: 3 Learning BACB CEs
Presenter: Andy Bondy, Ph.D.
Course Description: In his book, Verbal Behavior, B.F. Skinner stresses the function of communication. His analysis includes “private events,” that is, how we learn to talk about things that happen inside us. "I Am the Master of my Emotions" reviews traditional approaches to teaching children with autism to communicate emotions as well as responses to such language from other people. Skinner’s analysis is incorporated into the design of effective lessons with very young children, teenagers or adults. This webcast suggests teaching strategies for those with autism that may lead to successful acquisition of these complex language skills.
- Describe how children typically learn to comment about "private events
- Understand the type of information adults respond to when teaching children to tell us about their emotions, and what may be missing for children with autism
- Learn why traditional approaches to teaching "the language of emotions" may not be effective and how they can be improved
- Describe how to take advantage of existing emotional displays and how to create situations that are likely to induce such feelings
- Understand why it is not really easy to teach “really"
- Understand why it will be helpful to attend the full-day workshop, The Language of Emotions
Keywords: Emotions, private events, autism, teaching, communication, function, language
Rating: This course is recommended for BCBAs, BCaBAs and those with background knowledge of behavior analysis who are working with children with autism. Knowledge of Skinner’s analysis of verbal behavior is recommended.
Access: Two weeks
Note: The two weeks' access begins at the time of purchase, not the time of log in; purchasing multiple course subscriptions will not extend your access.
Effective July 23, 2018, each ABA type-2 on-demand CE course may be extended a maximum of three times within six months of the original course purchase. After six months from the original date of purchase, the course will need to be purchased again.
Important note: If you are taking this course to maintain your BACB certification, you will need to add your certification number to your certificate of completion, as the BACB requires that your certificate of completion includes your certification number.
Refunds are not provided once a course has been accessed.
These workshops are presented in partnership between the Florida Tech ABA Online program and ABA Technologies, Inc. ABA Technologies, Inc., is a BACB-approved provider of type-2 continuing education hours (provider number: OP-02-0023)