Full course description
Time: 2 hours. 39 minutes
Credit: 3 LEARNING CEUs
- Eb Blakely, Ph.D., BCBA-D
- Hank Schlinger Jr., Ph.D., BCBA-D
Course Description: Presents the concept of function-altering operations as it relates to respondent and operant conditioning, other conditioning effects, verbal stimuli and applied and therapeutic interventions. In all these processes, the functions of stimuli are modified. The implications of the function-altering concept for how we define basic concepts in behavior analysis (e.g., reinforcement), as well as for rules and rule-governed behavior, are discussed.
- Learn how Blakely and Schlinger came to write their two 1987 articles on function-altering events.
- Define, in general, what the term function altering means.
- Describe how basic conditioning processes such as operant and respondent conditioning are function altering.
- Evaluate the implications for definitions of reinforcement and punishment.
- Identify specifically how other behavioral processes (e.g., observational learning) are function altering.
- Recognize how verbal stimuli can be function altering.
- Describe the implications for rules and rule-governed behavior.
- Describe the implications of a function-altering concept for applied behavior analysis and practice, including staff and parent training, teaching instructional control and therapy.
Keywords: Applied behavior analysis, Skinner, rules, function-altering, conditioning
Rating: This course is recommended for certified practitioners in the field of behavior analysis (BCBAs and BCaBAs) and professionals with background knowledge of the concepts and principles of behavior analysis.
Access: 2 weeks
Note: The two weeks' access begins at the time of purchase, not the time of log in; purchasing multiple course subscriptions will not extend your access.
Effective July 23, 2018, each ABA type-2 on-demand CE course may be extended a maximum of three times within six months of the original course purchase. After six months from the original date of purchase, the course will need to be purchased again.
If you experience problems when registering, please call 321-674-8382, option 2.
Important note: If you are taking this course to maintain your BACB certification, you will need to include your BACB certification number when creating your student profile, as the BACB requires that your certificate of completion includes your certification number.
No refunds are provided once the course is accessed.
These workshops are presented in partnership between the Florida Tech ABA Online program and ABA Technologies, Inc. ABA Technologies, Inc., is a BACB-approved provider of type-2 continuing education hours (provider number: OP-02-0023)