Full course description
Time: 6 hours, 41 minutes, 15 seconds
Credit: 8 Learning CEs
Presenter: Karin Torsiello, M.S., BCBA
Disclaimer: Anyone who previously took BEHP1022 should not take BEHP1188 as it will be a repeat; it is, however, acceptable for those individuals to take BEHP1189.
Materials: To better equip you for the parent training you are doing, your paid registration for this course makes you eligible to receive a free DVD copy of The Secrets of Modern Parenting, the parent-training modules portion of the course. Shipping and any taxes will be collected by the instructor when you order your DVDs. Please note: There may be additional fees for international shipping of the DVD set, depending on the country to which it is shipped. To request your DVD set, please contact Karin Torsiello at email@example.com within two weeks of your course registration.
Course Description: In this presentation, practitioners will be learning how to use The Secrets of Modern Parenting (SMP) instructional DVD series in their ABA clinical practice as an instructional tool. This presentation will aid in creating an understanding of a “softer packaging” of a hard science and how to present information in an easily digestible format to your intended audience.
- Learn how to get parents to execute the behavior change procedures the clinician wants to see
- Identify challenges practitioners face and how to work around these roadblocks to success
- Identify skill deficits of caregivers and children and how to overcome them
- Understand description of populations in which this teaching style has been successful
- Learn the following SMP skills to improve the clinician’s parent-training practice:
- Building relationships: the cornerstone of The Secrets of Modern Parenting
- How to reduce children's maladaptive behaviors to gain attention inappropriately
- How to gain compliance in the home; turn "no" into "yes"
- The four major reasons children are not compliant
- How to end arguing; put an end to arguing in the home
- How to eliminate the triggers for arguing
- How to eliminate lying and promote truthfulness
- How to extinguish tantrums and put an end to them altogether
- How to end backtalk and disrespect
- Learn successful teaching methods
- Incorporate the SMP teaching model with families
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in parent-child relationships and how this affects behavior change
- Translate ABA into layman’s terms
- Learn common pitfalls that in parents’ behavior that damage relationships and replacement behaviors for the parent
- Use the ABCs to change parent behavior
Keywords: Parent training, skill acquisition, proactive, positive, discipline, TTP
Rating: This course recommended for professionals, including BCBAs and BCaBAs, who are interested in training parents, caregivers and others to implement behavior-based strategies.
Access: 60 days
Note: The 60 days' access begins at time of purchase, not time of log in; purchasing multiple course subscriptions will not extend your access.
Effective July 23, 2018, each ABA type-2 on-demand CE course may be extended a maximum of three times within six months of the original course purchase. After six months from the original date of purchase, the course will need to be purchased again.
If you experience problems when registering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important note: If you are taking this course to maintain your BACB certification, you will need to write your certification number to your certificate of completion, as the BACB requires that your certificate of completion includes your certification number.
No refunds are provided once the course is accessed.
These workshops are presented in partnership between the Florida Tech ABA Online program and ABA Technologies, Inc. ABA Technologies, Inc., is a BACB-approved provider of type-2 continuing education hours (provider number: OP-02-0023).