Full course description
Abigail Blackman, BCBA and Samuel Shvarts, BCBA
Parent Training Course Description:
This course includes our online, empirically-supported, psychoeducational parent training program (Blackman, Jimenez-Gomez, & Shvarts, 2020) for families of children with ASD.
Our curriculum, which we use internally for our families who receive services at The Scott Center for Autism Treatment, is designed to educate and train parents to support their children with ASD. The curriculum includes six training modules. Each module includes informational slides; a video recording of a presenter; example videos; and embedded scenarios and questions to engage parents in the content. The content of each module is outlined below.
Module 1: What is Autism?
· This module provides a description of diagnostic criteria and symptoms. We provide several video examples to illustrate symptoms and also show how children with autism differ from typically developing children. We also review prevalence statistics and what causes ASD. This leads to a discussion on what are evidence and non-evidence-based treatments and an introduction to behavioral treatment.
Module 2: What is Applied Behavior Analysis?
- This module provides an overview and background for applied behavior analysis in parent-friendly terms. We review the basics for how ABA works, and describe and practice identifying the ABC’s of behavior.
Module 3: Behavior Management Strategies
· This module discusses ways that parents can arrange the home setting to promote appropriate behavior and reduce inappropriate behavior with several video examples. Additional supports like daily schedules and choice opportunities are discussed.
Module 4: Managing Problem Behavior
· This module discusses common types and causes of problem behavior, how to identify the causes, and how to develop effective treatments. We provide an overview of effective treatments as well as ways to teach appropriate communication skills.
Module 5: Increase Communication Skills
- This module breaks down common teaching strategies like prompting and shaping for parents to understand. Video examples of each strategy and how to use them to teach appropriate skills are included.
Module 6: Learning through Play (45 minutes)
- This module shows parents how to increase learning opportunities while playing with their child. We discuss best practices to pair instruction with positive experiences and make learning fun. We include several videos to show parents how to implement these strategies at home.
Continuing Education Credit Value:
6 credits, BACB
Participants will be able to:
• Identify the key features of autism spectrum disorders
• Describe ABA therapy and some common strategies that ABA uses to teach individuals with ASD
• Identify common causes of child problem behavior and how to address these causes
• Describe strategies to increase communication and other adaptive skills